Winter Storm Smarts
Burns are a common form of injury during heavy snowfall or freezing rain events. Winter storms may break utility poles or disrupt electric lines, cutting off some households from power, heat and communication. Those unaccustomed to using candles or burning wood for heat can suffer from burns and other injuries. Wood burning and use of other portable heating devices can also cause air pollutants to build up inside your home.
Viewer Tip: If you find yourself without power, use fireplaces, wood stoves, candles and other heating devices carefully. When building a fire, be sure that the fireplace damper is open – smoke inside your home is a signal that your fireplace or stove is not working correctly. Never use charcoal grills or other unvented fuel-burning appliances to heat your home. Additionally, keep a first aid kit for your home in case of emergency. Some items to include: Bandages, antiseptic, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, non-latex gloves, sterile gauze pads, tweezers and scissors.
This information is from Weather and Health, a free online course produced by the COMET Program and NEEF. Access the course at www.meted.ucar.edu/broadcastmet/wxrx/ (free registration is required).