Check out these cool tips and tools about winter wildlife!
Tips for Learning More
- Want to help make sure birds have enough to eat in the winter? Here’s a guide from Audubon on how to choose your feeder style and what to put in it! Make sure you clean the feeder regularly to help keep the birds healthy.
- Interested in putting up a birdhouse in your yard so you can watch the birds up close? Check out this guide on how to build a safe shelter for your feathered friends, as well as how to customize the house for different bird species.
- Looking to help make a habitat for other winter wildlife? Build a pile of loose leaves, twigs, and branches to provide shelter for ground-nesting animals, such as birds, chipmunks, rabbits, and hibernating reptiles, amphibians, and insects.
Photo: A male cardinal at a bird feeder, courtesy of www.mo.gov.
- Consider joining www.nestwatch.org to become a citizen scientist and help contribute your observations of local nesting birds to a nationwide database of information on breeding bird populations.
- Match the paw prints with the animal that created them.
- Learn how to track winter animals in the snow.
- Take a quiz to test your knowledge on how different animals prepare for the winter cold.
Photo: Mountain cottontail courtesy of National Park Service.